Wednesday, December 15, 2004

it's another beautiful day in belfast, dear

This blog was created as a forum for those interested in mail art in general and the mail art, life and times of Bern Porter in particular. Some have called Bern "The Granddaddy of Mail Art." He certainly did live a long, unusual, and productive life. (February 14, 1911-June 7, 2004.)

From 1997 to 2002, I and my alter ego, Natasha Bernstein, published an 8-page xeroxed Weekly Reader-style 'zine called Bern Porter International. In 2004 it was resuscitated, and with the help of new co-editor Jacob Fricke, we have, in the last issue, sent out a call for entries to two Bern Porter tribute projects. See Crag Hill's scorecard for details: http://scorecard.typepad.com/crag_hills_poetry_score/2004/09

wow. I just did that to see if I could create a hyperlink. Apparently this stuff actually WORKS!
In any case, here is the same information, below. But check him out anyway.

1."R.I.P., Dear"
A Mail Art Tribute Exhibition
send all entries, any size, any medium
Deadline: December 31, 2004 (THIS IS NOT ENTIRELY ENGRAVED IN STONE. Please send)

2.A Bern Porter International Commemorative Issue
Send text or b&w graphics (up to 8-1/2 x 11")
Deadline: November 15, 2004 (THIS IS DEFINITELY NOT ENGRAVED IN STONE. Do send!)

to:
Sheila Holtz & Jacob Fricke
Editors
Bern Porter International
PO Box 911
Belfast, ME 04914
jacobrf@midmaine.com

Yes. It's true. Bern and I, although several generations apart in age and era, were both born before the invention of computers, and I, like he did, do still harbor a great deal of suspicion about this technology. "Cut and paste" in my vocabulary still evokes an image of scissors and glue! In the past I have, somewhat huffily perhaps, called myself a "luddite." But I am making inroads, and am slowly chipping away at my resistance. Blogging may just be the magic bullet to cure my technophobia, eh? Especially blogging to and with the mail art community, many of whom seem to have slipped below my visual horizon in recent decades.

So, please do send submissions via realmail. Please do post comments here.

2 Comments:

Blogger Maine Poetry said...

I was involved with Bern during the early MWPA days when the group was more creative oriented than career minded.

Bern Porter was one of a kind here in Maine, in my mind, The Prince of Poets, and has not received the credit he deserved. His work certainly added fresh air to the Maine literary scene. He and Mark Melnicove performed in many places trying to stimulate creativity in the state. Unfortunately, they had a hard row to how against the conservative Yuppie literary people who were entering the state and finally took over the MWPA.

Bern's work fascinates me, and although I cannot go as far as he did, I value his work and honor him. I have included him in my Maine Literary Hall of Honors, which must make the conservative literati shiver. So be it. Bern is the best of Maine, and, I feel, was a genius.

I was given permission by Bern via post card to create the official Bern Porter webpage a few years ago so did so. FYI it is at Bern Porter

Maine Literary Hall of Honors

May 17, 2005 at 6:01 AM  
Blogger sheilaholtz said...

Hello again, No Name Brook. I posted a comment at your Maine Poetry Blog. I hope it did not get lost somewhere in the shuffle. When I tried to get back to it to post it again here,I could not find it. Anyway,thanks for the input and your longtime support of the life and work of Bern. I like your blog. Hang in there. Nolite te yuppiae carborundorum. (Don't let the Yuppies get you down!)

July 9, 2005 at 6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home